Monday 8 September 2014

Semester 1 Week 4

It’s week 4...




One of the above or all of the above? Week 4 may as well be renamed Procrastination Week!

I have taken a nap, cleaned the kitchen, rewarded myself with an ocean swim, watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy, made a snack and indulged in some tweeting today but whatever my procrastination technique one problem remains…..the assignment is still there.

I can tell myself I work better under pressure but  if I’m really honest with myself, I feel better once I start working on an assignment.

It doesn’t take long before I have made some progress and before I know it, the assignment is no longer looming or scary.

In fact, once I get started, I even start to feel a bit smug that I am so fabulously organised and studious!

I have decided to dedicate this week to motivation, rather than procrastination. I am going to kick butt in that assignment – who’s with me???


So where do I start?

Create a work space – create a space away from temptation and that you dedicate to work. Internet blocking apps (such as Anti-Social) can assist in keeping the social media temptations at bay.

Take a look at upcoming assessments...

If you’re studying more than one subject, chances are you have a few assignments, quizzes and other assessable items coming up.

When is each assignment due and how much is it worth?

How long will each assignment take you? Not sure how to work this out – why not try using the assignment breakdown provided by Learning Development

How much revision do you have to complete before your quiz? How many weeks of lectures will be covered? Are there any practice questions?

The Learning Development team here at UoN have many online resources designed to help you stay on track this “motivation week”. Maths workshops, econsults and individual consultations are just a few of the services Learning Development can offer you. Check out the Learning Development Blackboard site for access to this support.

Start working on assessments with rules – allow 60 minutes of work without interruption and reward yourself with a short break. 

Break your assessments up into smaller manageable parts so you do not feel overwhelmed by the whole assessment.

Still procrastinating?

I know how hard it can be to stop procrastinating and start working... Next time you are putting off doing an assignment, why not read about some more practical techniques to stop procrastination: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/Procrastination%20Module%205_Practical%20Techniques.pdf

If these tips haven’t helped and you are feeling really stuck, contact the Counselling Service on (02) 4921 5801 or counselling@newcastle.edu.au.




Reminder – Census Date March 31
Feeling like you have bitten off more than you can chew? Remember census date is the final date to withdraw without incurring the fees from your courses. If you are not able to cope with the workload of courses now is the time to withdraw. Don’t forget your Student Experience Officers here at MySupport! If you need some extra support and guidance make an appointment (mysupport@newcastle.edu.au) with a Student Experience Officer to help get you back on track!



No comments:

Post a Comment